Wednesday, March 10, 2021

My experience with Forest Fires.

 

Raging ground fire in forests of Ranchi and its surrounding is posing a threat to environment.

By

Dr. Nitish Priyadarshi.

Environmentalist and Assistant Professor Department of Geology,

Ranchi University, India.


“Forest”– whenever we hear this word, all our mind presumes is – a vast area of land covered with green patches, which may consist of wildlife flourished with different verities of flora and fauna, and of course tribal people residing and relying in & on the forest respectively. 


It was 6th March 2021.  I decided to drive for Sita falls and Jonha falls near Ranchi city, capital of Jharkhand state, India. Both the falls are situated deep into the dense forests of Jharkhand.  I took my kids with me.  Weather was quite and dry with 26 degree centigrade. As I was about to reach Sita Falls my son saw smoke coming out of the forest. Valley was covered with dense smoke. As we got closer to our destination and further deep into the forest I saw aggressive flames of fire coming out of forest beds in different geometrical forms. Mild, hot and dry winds of spring were triggering the fire. I stopped my car to observe this scenario up close and take few pictures. 





As the trees had shed their leaves to welcome the new ones, the forest soil was covered with dry leaves which helped accelerate flames throughout. The forest birds were in distress as high flames caused immense heat and smoke which prevented them from approaching their nests at twilight. I thought I could feel people in the forest, but when I looked around, not a soul was there.  As I continued my journey, the trees started to shiver with the impact of blowing wind and fire and the birds cried out in fear as they fled from their nests. Whistling sound of burning fire was scary.




The smell of burning wood flew through the air. Twigs and dead leaves made a deafening crunch underneath my feet. The further I and my kids went in to the forest the more frightened we got due to spreading flames. It was so hot in the forest area that I could almost feel a burning sensation on my skin. You can well imagine how badly it is affecting the wide variety of birds living in the jungle. Being an environmentalist I can access how much carbon dioxide may have emitted due to these fires.



The composition of wildfire smoke is primarily made of carbon dioxide, water vapor, carbon monoxide, particulate matter, hydrocarbons and other organic chemicals, nitrogen oxides, and many other trace elements. However, smoke composition can vary, depending on the fuel type, fire temperature, and wind conditions. Of these pollutants, particulate matter (PM) is the most concerning, given their very small size and ability to be inhaled deeply into the lungs.

Exposure to PM generated from wildfires has been associated with a wide range of human health effects, such as wheezing, coughing, sore eyes and throats, and shortness of breath, to more adverse health outcomes, ranging from increases in asthma-related hospitalizations, chronic and acute respiratory and cardiovascular health outcomes, and premature death.


But why did these fires happen in Jharkhand?

Ranchi has a hilly topography and its dense Tropical Dry Deciduous forest a combination that produces a relatively moderate climate compared to the rest of the state.

Forest fires lit by villagers to collect mahua (Madhuca longifolia ) – a wild flower used for making country liquor – is posing to be a threat to the flora and fauna in Jharkhand jungles. Mahua, which grows in abundance in the forest areas of Jharkhand, falls off the trees during spring. However, these flowers are often covered by a layer of dry leaves, which make it difficult for villagers to find and collect Mahua. Villagers set forest areas afire to clear the leaves and easily spot mahua flowers, which are unaffected by fire. Villagers also make charcoal. On a basic level, charcoal is produced by burning wood  in a low oxygen environment. 




 





 


No comments: